New Season, New You
Celebrate! As each new season begins, I find this is the best time to reboot the body. Every now and then it’s good to take a break, even from wine (and all alcohol) as well as heavy foods. Seems like now more than ever we can only benefit from some self-care. There are many ways and places to engage in this refreshment, and can even be done at home with research. However, we are very lucky to live in an environment that offers many different venues.
Recently, I experienced a one week cleanse at The Pearl, located on the West Coast, in Laguna Beach, California. The Pearl was created by renowned yoga teachers Geo and Katresha Moskios. Picture a natural oasis overflowing with flowers and lemon trees set around serene outdoor living space where you’re enjoying long peaceful sunny days. The indoor area is cozy with two large stone fireplaces, one in the living room, the other in the yoga studio. There are 12 guest rooms simply designed, each in its own style with photographs of nearby beaches, many which you will be exploring. All beds have organic mattresses and linens set up for a good night’s rest.
Rest is an integral ingredient of The Pearl, preparing your body for a busy morning of workouts. Each day begins with Geo’s signature power yoga. After a healthy breakfast, guides arrive to gear you up for comfort and safety before a 3-hour hike in the canyons, coves and beaches - depending on your fitness level. Afternoons are relaxing - massages, swimming, and infrared sauna sessions. All this heals your body and spirit. Evenings begin with Katresha’s homemade vegetable broth, a restorative yoga class, then dinner. All meals end with special tea.
Geo and Katresha believe in balance. Their main objective is to keep your body moving, the best medicine for a happy long healthy life. Of course what we eat is also important. A good base line is to achieve an 80% clean diet and use the remaining 20% for what moves you.
Meals at The Pearl are plant based and calories are kept around 1,200 per day. I am not vegan, so at first I was wondering how I was going to manage a week of intensive workouts without carbs, sweets and wine! The food was delicious, using only local fresh organic veggies, fruits and whole foods, including limited eggs. Hot lemon water is a staple at The Pearl. Breakfasts include poached fruit, oats, and goat’s milk yogurt with nuts and seeds. Lunches are big salads loaded with greens, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, and more. Dinners are loaded with legumes, also soups, vegetables and tarts. A favorite dish of mine was the “Hamburger Patty” - Black Lentil, cauliflower, quinoa and herbs in the patty with mango salsa and kale chips on the side. I was never hungry and felt completely satisfied after every meal.
The Pearl founders, Geo and Katresha know what they’re doing, you’re in good hands. The couple met in the 70’s at a yoga teacher training course run by Indra Devi, “The First Lady of Yoga,” in Tecate Mexico. It was love at first sight, Geo and Katresha have been married and teaching yoga ever since. After careful research, they opened their dream retreat 8 years ago choosing Laguna for its magical landscapes.
Geo Moskios, a Baltimore native, is referred to as the father of Power Yoga. After serving three years in Vietnam, Geo focused on yoga for healing. Geo represents health and balance, his Mantra – “Good good Good” resonates through the compound and through everyone who meets him. He’s a great teacher, patient and kind.
Katresha Moskios, was born and raised in Perth, Australia. She always wanted to help people, telling her mother at an early age she wanted to open a health farm. After a terrible car accident, she turned to meditation for healing. She spent time in India and energy healers in the Phillipines. Katresha studied at the London College of Beauty Therapy and continued her studies in nutrition. Her popular seminar, "The Power & Beauty of Yoga for Women" is presented around the world. She created her own skin care line named Katresha Pure Skin Care. She is beautiful, generous, and spiritual.
By the time you leave, there is a noticeable change in your body and mind. Pounds are shed and a permanent smile is planted on your face. If you like to travel, The Pearl is a lovely place to include in your journey. They also offer an option in Mallorca, Spain.